FSS issues advisories to fisheries cooperatives federation for W50b investment loss
简介The Financial Supervisory Service, South Korea's primary financial regulatory body, has issued ...
The Financial Supervisory Service, South Korea's primary financial regulatory body, has issued management advisories to the National Federation of Fisheries Cooperatives after losing approximately 50.1 billion won ($37.5 million) it poured into an alternative high-yield overseas investment, as revealed by industry sources on Sunday.
The NFFC, the umbrella organization for regional fishers' cooperatives throughout the country, reportedly lost the entire principal amount of its investment without taking any further action, raising concerns over the federation's investment and risk assessment practices.
Upon evaluation, the FSS issued to the NFFC advisories concerning nine matters requiring caution and five matters needing improvement to bolster the federation’s due diligence procedures for foreign investments.
In 2018, the NFFC made an overseas investment valued at $40 million dollars. By 2021, due to borrower defaults, NFFC saw impairment losses of $21.3 million in 2020 and an additional $16.5 million in 2021.
Thus, the NFFC recorded the entire 50.1 billion won investment as a loss.
The FSS highlighted NFFC's shortcomings in risk assessment, noting issues like an inappropriate loan-to-value ratio and the absence of documents verifying business progress. The regulator emphasized that the NFFC lacked accountability and measures to prevent recurrence following the failed investment.
In addition to the investment advisories, the FSS suggested improvements in the cooperative federation's risk management, particularly addressing sudden cash outflows and asset-liability mismatches.
The FSS also criticized the categorizing of nine NFFC cooperative loans for solar power projects as "normal" although construction had been stopped.
The FSS further reprimanded the NFFC for its internal controls. Although in 2014, the FSS had recommended a compulsory leave system that requires that key employees be granted leaves of up to five days during audits to detect financial discrepancies, the NFSC hasn't ordered such leaves.
세르게이 라브로프 러시아 외무부 장관이 지난 2021년 3월 23일 오후 인천국제공항을 통해 입국하고 있다. 연합뉴스북한이 세르게이 라브로프 러시아 외무장관의 방북 소식을 알렸다. ...
More elderly Koreans are working after retirement to avoid poverty, but many find their income insuf ...
더불어민주당 새 원내대표로 선출된 홍익표 의원이 26일 오후 국회에서 열린 의원총회에서 의원들과 인사하고 있다. 강정현 기자‘범(汎)친명계’로 분류되는 홍익표 의원(3선)이 26일 ...
- [Contribution] Why hope matters in climate crisis
- British MP hopes for enhanced UK
- Trilateral talks open on Korea
- [Herald Interview] Forever is not impossible: Oneus aspires to global reach with 'La Dolce Vita'
- Yoon lauds rapid growth of Korean defense industry
- Yoon plans state visits to UK, Netherlands later this year
이준석, 눈물의 회견…尹대통령 향해 "與 묵언 수행 저주 풀라"
‘Do you know Dr. Hong?’ Moms say they wish they didn’t
[Herald Interview] S&P economist tells Korea to brace for worst
[Herald Interview] Forever is not impossible: Oneus aspires to global reach with 'La Dolce Vita'
Cast of ‘Norma’ says opera difficult to sing but easy to enjoy
British MP hopes for enhanced UK
- N.SSign to resume album promotion without Doha
- Shinhan to bet big on insurance tech startup
- Seoul condemns Hamas’ attack on Israel
- Four days of jazz festivities take over Jara Island
- Cheongju Craft Biennale stresses connection with nature, Jikji legacy
- [Photo News] AI, conventional painting come together
- Jungkook becomes first Korean soloist to log 2 songs in Top 5 of Billboard's Hot 100
- Samsung, LG, Hyundai closely monitoring potential biz fallout from Israel
- YG's new girl group Babymonster to debut next month
- [Today’s K
- Lotte names ex
- S. Korea to extend $5 mil worth of fertilizer aid to Ukraine via U.S. agency
- Lotte increases efforts to give back to society
- N.Korea could use nuclear weapons at any stage of conflict: Pentagon
- Tving streams 2023 MTV VMAs
- Swimmer, gamers celebrate Chuseok with gold medals
- NCT Dream to perform on 2023 iHeartRadio Jingle Ball Tour
- Civic group to celebrate 70th anniversary of S. Korea
- NewJeans hits 1 bln streams mark on Spotify with debut album
- Inflation driving up costs to eat out
- JTBC drama ‘Reborn Rich’ goes to Emmys
- Explore the culture of Joseon during Chuseok
- Seoul launches annual pet festival
- With teammate's help, inconsolable shooter regroups in time to win bronze
- S. Korea in contention for team medal in women's golf
- Chuseok’s celestial journey: Best spots for full moon gazing in Seoul
- N. Korea stipulates nuclear force